Friday, July 17, 2020

Delightfully Defeated


 This poem began on what was going to be a quick walk home from the mechanic,
just a few country-lanes away, but
turned into a stroll of sweet summer-seduction






You win I say to the blade of grass all liquid-glass bejeweled
You win I say to the lily-lamp by quadrillion sun-watts fueled
You win I whisper to Queen Ann’s Lace that gilds the field of wheat
You win I sigh to the upturned face of any bloom I meet
To the bird that tweets from the lofty sheaf
To the herd that grazes on thistle and twitch
To the sun-ray snared on a rim of leaf
To manifold marvels that charm and bewitch

You win I say to the dirt-road-lure that dangles from the sky
You win I say to the curl of vine that tangles with my sigh
You win I whisper to freckled grins and cherub-chubby cheeks
You win I laugh to love’s Autograph where brand new morning breaks
To the hummingbird as it hover and darts
To the undeterred wonder of bud to bloom
To July’s invincible thief of hearts
To the curious mechanics of the spud-loom

You win I say to the hollyhock stalk dressed in pretty pink
You win I say to the way a day can spill oceans of ink
You win I cede to the russet reed drinking the shallows dry
You win, I admit to the butterfly, cloud-schooners drifting by
To hazy, lazy afternoon rain
To the daisy; he/she loves me, loves me not
To the waves that wash through a field of grain
To wishes come true in a vegetable-plot

You win I say to the clay pot hosting sprig of lavender
You win I say to the rain-drop mirroring in miniature
You win I whisper to translucent leaf splayed against the sun
You win I weep where lyrics hound until a poem is spun
You win, you win, yes, you win, and you win,
I say to sweet summer’s splendour of the earth
You win, you win, yes and you win again
As another hymn of sheer gladness gives birth

© Janet Martin




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!