Thursday, May 28, 2020

Making The Most of What's Left of May/Life







I dare not waste the haste with which May’s merry moments sparkle through
A freshly-unfurled canopy, an apple-blossom-dappled flue
The color-friendly flower-side that warms the hearth of dreamer’s hearts
Makes us so glad to be alive in the happiness May imparts

The bud that clenched its teeny fist relents and almost overnight
The barren branch is filled with hymns of leafy sigh and shadow-light
I dare not shut my eyes lest the surprises I’ve come to expect
Are scattered at my feet and no amount of grief can resurrect

How swift the gift of seasons strews its wrapping paper vapour to thin air
A rift twixt fingertips and past’s echo-established thoroughfare
The freedoms that we balance where duty’s insistent ties entwine
We ought to savour like those moments just before we rise and shine

I dare not waste the haste that turns May into June, June to July
Until another year adheres to sentimental me-oh-my
Come, let’s do lunch beneath the maple-green umbrella’s umbral arc
For May will soon slip into June like daylight turning into dark


© Janet Martin

 ...and don't sweat the small stuff!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!