Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Prelude to Farewell




It melts like summer snow
The opulence of green
Begins to fade in preludes played
By hands sensed but unseen

Sky-tide of blue and rose
Primes a persuasive pull
It fills a cup then tips it up-
Side down and drops the hull

A velvet vortex whirls
And wakes a tug that wars
With hugs and waves where mother braves
A world of swinging doors

She draws around her heart
The present like a prayer
Because she knows how ebbs and flows
Dissolve into thin air

To melt like summer snow
The flower-frosted fell
Where all that is sweetens the kiss
That leads toward farewell

…and sheaf of season spent
As winnowing of husk
Spirals aloft where echoes waft
On autumn’s early dusk

© Janet Martin

'It gets light quite early', suggested a well-meaning friend
when we were discussing trying to get my fill of biking this summer...
 but, I like to see my son before he leaves for work at 7
 (I'll always cherish the memory of his acknowledgement-grunt
 to my good morning salutations, usually something like
 'Have a good day' or 'have a safe day' or 'Don't forget to shine today' etc. 😁)
then soon after he leaves childcare day begins.
So I just go biking whenever it works in because earth is telling us summer is fading fast!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!