Friday, August 30, 2019

Like Sparkles on a Surging Swell


I wrote this while trying to mediate the tug twixt what Is and Was 
of a busy-beautiful-blur-of-a-summer...



I raid the reaches of my mind to try to find among its mess
A glint of sea-song left behind to bind my wounds of happiness
Where like a whirling carousel, faces and places beam and blur
Like sparkles on a surging swell that washes away sweet summer

Time makes me feel a bit forlorn while torn between what Is and Was
This marathon of morn to morn can spark a soulful storm because
Its days are never long enough when spread beneath an august sky
While time’s ways, ever on the move always weds hello with goodbye

…and echoes strewn beneath high noon like petals from a peony
Or notes that float like red balloons; or medals for love’s bravery
Where wonder crowns the ups and downs of heirloom-hours such as these
And hunger drowns in cups of joy for laughter-flowered memories…

…of garden strolls and bowls filled with the fruit where labour and God meet
Of simple things that makes us feel like kings and queens with muddy feet
Of green-leaf-shimmer, what’s-for-dinner, pat-a-cake and stir the stew
Of making room for one more plate, of home-sweet-home’s more-like-a-zoo

I raid the reaches of my mind to find the font for poetry
Lord, help me never to be blind to what is right in front of me
Where like a whirling carousel, days beam and blur through smiles and tears
Like sparkles on a surging swell that makes landfall and disappears

© Janet Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!