Thursday, July 4, 2024

Conditional Unashamed-ness


In You, my God, I trust. 
Do not let me be put to shame; 
do not let my enemies exult over me.

In You, O LORD, I have taken refuge; 
let me never be put to shame.


When I asked my grandchildren yesterday if they want to eat lunch inside or outside
in unison they disagreed, so after some fruitless attempts at coming to an agreement,
 I suggested best two out of three draw! They enthusiastically agreed,
until it was over! all three draws were 'inside'. 
Aw, said Grandson, let's just ignore it and eat outside!' 
I reminded him a deal is a deal, 
and quite futile if we don't stick to the conditions.
Then I was struck with the thought of how often I read God's 'deal'
and respond a bit like Grandson...aw, let's just do it my way,
 ignoring His conditions. 
Oh God, thank-you for your mercies, new every morning!

...and what a gorgeous July morning in rural Ontario!




If I would not be put to shame
Lord, let me not seek wealth or fame
But find my joy in Jesus’ Name
The Saviour of the soul
You are the giver of life’s breath
You are the deliverer from death
The Maker of heaven and earth
Faith in You makes me whole

…and keeps me from the tempter’s snare
And guards me from depths of despair
As I confide in You in prayer
And lean upon Your word
That leads in paths of righteousness
For Your name’s sake; so You may bless
Each step with peace and holiness
Through mercies undeterred

If I would live the life I should
So You may work all things for good
Because I love You; pray I would
Never my own god be
…foolish and wise in my own eyes
Often distracted from the Prize
Of Your high calling, by the lies
Of pride, fear, vanity

There is a way that seemeth right
But leads to death, if I delight
Not in You, Lord, but walk by sight
Where distractions run rife
If I would not be put to shame
Lord, let me Your goodness proclaim
And fix my hope in Jesus’ Name
The Way, The Truth, the Life

© Janet Martin




The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
 The righteous run to it and are safe.

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; 
my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; 
my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, 
and my high tower.

In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence:
and his children shall have a place of refuge.

He will be the sure foundation for your times, 
a storehouse of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. 
The fear of the LORD is Zion's treasure.

It is not possible to trust someone we don't know;
to put our faith in a stranger.
If we are ignorant of the morals and principles
of someone we cannot put our confidence in them.
This, above all, applies to our relationship with God
The only way to grow our love for Him enough to truly trust Him
is to know what He stands for,
 is to know Him through His Word.
To pray that He will open the eyes of our hearts

But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, 
always abounding in the work of the Lord, 
knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

I came across this poem this morning;
a fitting reminder for 'lads' of all ages!


...and here is the rest of the poem about Aunt Jane 😂







No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed your pause on this porch and thank-you for your visit!