Friday, April 26, 2024

Love Letter from a Father




For today's prompt, write a persona poem.
 A persona poem is just a poem narrated in the voice of a persona who is not yourself.

Because I grant no guarantees
I tick and tock, I fly and chime...



Dear You, proprietor of dreams
And plans, that I alone estrange
Where, no matter the age, it seems
Human Nature will never change

Dear You, I'd like to, if I may
Before I take you by surprise 
And what now seems secure, falls prey
To resting places I disguise   

I'd like to remind you to pause
And ponder well, all I have lent
Making the most of Now, because
You never know when I am spent

Futile to want what Bygone seals
Or wish for what may never be
Better the hour that still peals
With fleeting opportunity 

Some think that I am on their side
And live as if I thought so too
But I am the taut, tender tide
 That tugs and tolls with dust and dew 

No respecter of persons, I
Am but a servant too, you see
Morning, noon, night is my reply
To a Higher Authority

Before it is to late to give
What I cannot, when 'we' have passed
I want to remind you to live
As if each day could be your last

Because I grant no guarantees
I tick and tock, I fly and chime
My legacy, your memories,
Yours duly, truly, 
Father Time

© Janet Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed your pause on this porch and thank-you for your visit!