Saturday, June 25, 2022

Summer


Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; 
to me those have always been the two most beautiful words
 in the English language.”
― Henry James


Breakfast in the garden...

Campfire griddle-cakes...


Never pleading pardon
For extended breaks...

Fields flaunt floral fringes...

Flower begets flower...

Lily-lanterns gleam...

Smacking lips devour
Strawberries and cream...



Breakfast in the garden
Campfire griddle-cakes
Never pleading pardon
For extended breaks

Beauty is not wasted
Kitchen duty waits
So much to be tasted
On blue-sky heaped plates

Sun and shadow dapples
Green leaf canopy
Sheer contentment grapples
With time’s fleeting spree

Flower begets flower
Lily-lanterns gleam
Smacking lips devour
Strawberries and cream

Lyrics spill in laughter
Sprinkler diamonds splash
Bare feet pitter-patter
Popsicle mustache

Swallows skim dusk backdrops
Bloom lures butterflies
*Puppy chews on flip-flops
Owner scolds and sighs

Fields flaunt floral fringes
Gilt-embroidered glove
Touch of heaven tinges
Earth’s fullness thereof

Dusty, dewy essence 
Stokes soft breeze caress 
Sun-steeped effervescence 
Evokes happiness

Picnic basket pleasure
Outdoor living-rooms
Every day a treasure
Where sweet summer blooms

© Janet Martin

*'Rats' I said to myself in bed last night
after everyone had gone home and campfire was tidied up.
I hope someone saw my flip-flops and brought them inside
(I kicked them off to run a race with grand-kiddos)
Someone didn't and neighbor farm-pup did 😠

My bad for not just getting up and making sure!
The consequence of laziness...

Swallows skim dusk backdrops...


2 comments:

  1. Oh I loved this summery post, Janet! I am sorry that doggie got to your flipflops first. Campfire griddle cakes sounds delicious. What fun. So glad for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Brenda! Lesson learned hopefully, 'Don't give Doggie benefit of the doubt' when he has never even given one hint that it is earned or deserved. lol!! oh, well. Thankfully it's going to take more than that to dampen summer joy!

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!