Thursday, June 16, 2022

Because It's All So Brief...from First Frond-Shimmer to Sheaf


A blend of panic and perfect pleasure
pervades my senses as I stand among
the brief and precious bloom of peonies...





(I just noticed on this photo above, 
the persistent bindweed has already resurfaced between the rocks, g-r-r-r!!
after I thought I tackled it thoroughly two weeks ago!! see this post)



Last night I realized the fading sheen of green in the neighboring grain field!
...evoking a tender tug, aware of the impending inevitable; June's farewell
Happy 2nd half of June!

The ups and downs
and in betweens
of grays and browns
and blues and greens
Unfolds an
ever-wending wow
from molds of
never-ending now
The ebb and flow
that tunes the sky
with dawn’s hello
and noon’s goodbye
Unravels as it
binds to sheaves
what sparkle-whit
unwinds and weaves
Where bidden nuance
woos its art
to hidden viewpoints
of the heart
Where oft we stand
to gaze, agape
at mist-soft land-
scapes taking shape
While hunger plunders
hills and holes
While wonder thunders
in our souls
With ups and downs
and in betweens
of grays and browns
and blues and greens
  

© Janet Martin


Psalm 144:4
Man is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow.



4 comments:

  1. "While wonder thunders
    in our souls"
    Love this line!
    A question: in the last pic of peonies, what's the name of the plant that sits between the peonies and the plant with yellow flowers (don't know its name, either...)? I have this plant as well, the one in between, it's the kind butterflies and bees really like. It was there when we moved in; I think maybe it's Joe Pye Weed, but I'm not sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for appreciating that line:) I inserted it along with the line before, after the original poem was written and felt missing Something. I think the flower between the yellow (which I can't remember the name of either) and the peonies is sedum. It turns pink in the fall. Do you know the name of the yellow ones?

      Delete
  2. Thank you, that's definitely it! Don't know the yellow ones' name...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I did a little search. I think the yellow one might be yellow loose-strife.

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!