Tuesday, March 19, 2013

House-keeping or Homemaking





It may not look like much;
the filling, emptying, scrubbing
repetition of pots and pans,
of bowls and such

I have heard these walls
referred to as finger-print prisons
designated for women
of drudgery’s lowliest calls

The heaven of splattered,
everyday ordinaries
is often misunderstood
until its frame is shattered

We tread the gilded halls
of cracked linoleum,
of smile-smudged windows
and paint-chipped walls

I suppose if this were it;
plumping of cushions,
fluffing of beds and miles of laundry
I might concede a little bit

But, we are here, not to prove
our existence in halls of fame
As we keep house, we are making a home
for those we love

© Janet Martin


2 comments:

  1. Love this Janet! So often I have felt down about being a stay at home mom and homemaker.Your poem made me realize how important this truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, it IS so easy to forget on some days but I know it will be worth it. We only get one crack at our kids, to be there for them...and I don't want to miss a thing. Thank-you for 'getting' this poem and for your understanding.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!