Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ode to the Afternoon


I did not want you to leave me
You’re a soul-mate through and through
With your smile as soft as sunshine
And your eye of perfect blue
But I see you slipping from me
Soundless footsteps falling where
I languished in your arms of leisure
For an hour without a care

I would beg for one more hour
If I thought that you would stay
But you do not have the power
To add minutes to my day
Yet, should I entwine my fingers
In the essence of your sigh
If I whisper little secrets
Would you then postpone good-bye?

I hate it when I see you leaving
Oh, how soon you disappear
Already, silently I’m grieving
The hastening of a year
I rest my hand on your shoulder
Look into your pleasant gaze
Alas,I’m but a memory older
You have slipped into the haze

Janet~

Right now my days are simply not long enough……
Especially the afternoons!
I want to be outside….but duty demands otherwise!
Well, maybe I’ll slip out for an hour……
Does it really make any difference at the end of my life
If I’ve swept the floor…again?

1 comment:

  1. how quickly life becomes a memory...

    amazing piece once again.
    what a brilliant writer you are
    I'm so privileged to have found you.

    thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!