Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Of Deathly Silences


If we flung down our pens
Would anyone care
If beckoning whispers
Remained a-drift on the air?
Would it be missed
Those words never penned?
Would the wind be content
To be nothing but wind?
No low-flung melody,
Or cantankerous tone
No moody company
When we are alone
And all of the music
Which poets have sought
Would simply remain
In a casket of thought
If we flung down our pens
Would anyone care?
As agony drifts
On the tear-spangled air
And all of our want
And all of our need
Would endlessly taunt
And never would bleed
From hearts to fingers-tips
And from finger to page
From page to soft lips
on a distant stage
But the air would remain
A tightly-sealed hold
Of deathly silences
Hungry and cold

© Janet Martin

I just finished reading mike's interview on Poetic Bloomings,
and Laurie's interview on Poet's United,
 and it struck me how poet's and poetry
 are so vastly different yet hold a kindred distinction!


5 comments:

  1. There seems to be a great deal of symbolism in this poem...lovely workas always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one Janet... I think what you're saying translates to any type of art... I cannot imagine a world without art. Perhaps this saying sums it all up: Earth without "art" is "eh"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OE, ;) yes. thank-you.

    Megan, we agree... art is poetry, poetry is art and without it... earth definitely is 'eh':)
    You know how to draw out the heart of my words in your comments, thank-you~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This describes how I've often felt about my writing. It resonates so clearly. Thanks for putting pen to paper and allowing me to connect with kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim , thank-you for leaving your thoughts to remind me that I am not alone in this...'struggle' of sorts:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!