Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Where Unholy Thoughts Could Play...

Ps.86:5&10-13

For You, O Lord, are kind and forgiving,
rich in loving devotion to all who call on You...

...For You are great and perform wonders;
You alone are God.
11Teach me Your way, O LORD,
that I may walk in Your truth.
Give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear Your name.
12I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify Your name forever.
13For great is Your loving devotion to me;
You have delivered me from the depths of Sheol.

A few glimpses at what helped to inspire today's poem...







Lord, where unholy thoughts could play
And tempt ‘the good I would’ to stray
Where dark despair could defeat joy
And bait worship with cunning ploy

Where judgement could bar/mar gentle grace
And would make me forget my place
Where pride, could with subtle disguise
Deceive good intention with lies

Where I am often boldly prone
To pursue int’rests of my own
Rather than do the best I can
To encourage my fellowman

Where opportunity abounds
And oft humility confounds
Where self-indulgence could creep in
And blind me to its crafty sin

While excuse grooms its masterpiece
Where unholy thoughts could conceive
A religion of make-believe

Lest by imagination’s whim
The light that I could be grows dim
Lord, let Thy mercy hear my plea
Restore my zeal and love for Thee

Fain and vain is the good I would
Save through the power of Thy blood
Thus, may my utmost longing be
Love’s thankfulness for Christ in me

Lest, where unholy thoughts could play
I slowly, surely go astray
These precious words; how great Thou art

© Janet Martin



An oldie!!



Lyrics by Johnson Oatman, Jr

  1. When storms of life are round me beating,
    When rough the path that I have trod,
    Within my closet door retreating,
    I love to be alone with God.
    • Refrain:
      Alone with God, the world forbidden,
      Alone with God, O blest retreat!
      Alone with God, and in Him hidden,
      To hold with Him communion sweet.
  2. What though the clouds have gathered o’er me?
    What though I’ve passed beneath the rod?
    God’s perfect will there lies before me,
    When I am thus alone with God.
  3. ’Tis there I find new strength for duty,
    As o’er the sands of time I plod;
    I see the king in all His beauty,
    While resting there alone with God.
  4. And when I see the moment nearing
    When I shall sleep beneath the sod,
    When time with me is disappearing,
    I want to be alone with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!