Saturday, October 21, 2023

In October




In the field corn harvest dwindles brittle whispers, row by row
In the garden silence kindles marigold-ember's brave glow
In the gaudy, tranquil woodland, treetop-tapers flare and dim
In expanding canning cellars, bins, boxes and jar-shelves brim
In the heart a bumbling, humbling, ecstatic Thanksgiving Hymn

In the orchard apple-orbs gleam, luring raptured touch-and-taste
Urging ladder-laden pickers to heave-ho with holy haste
Where fruit-dappled topiaries flaunt  sweet-taunting red and gold
Where chill winds tweak cheeks with cherries and turn tender fingers cold
Where happiness is more merry than one heart can dearly hold

In the kitchen pots, bowls, baskets, laugh with blessing-overflow
Filled with final favors rescued from forecasts of frost or snow 
In the air aromas mingle; nutmeg, ginger, cumin, cloves
Wafting, like color-glints captured from fall-flavored bosc and groves
Cinnamon-caramel-tipped/dipped foliage, pumpkin and squash treasure-troves

In the morning mist and frost kissed vistas of hill, rill and vale
Gleam like amber cider poured from heaven to earth's silver grail
In dusk’s blue-blush, stark-dark dying a soulful dirge seems to sound
For autumn days flying, lying, leaf-shaped on the listless ground
For the star-blind dreamer sighing for fortunes, ever unfound

In October we walk slower down the leaf-embellished street
Scuffling through the fallen bowers, like lamplight beneath our feet
In October we take cover under sparser canopies
Everybody is a lover of October's wooing trees
In October pain and pleasure runs us through like wind-tossed seas 

© Janet Martin








The 'snooze-button update' below is yesterday's news
 because this was supposed to be yesterday's post
but yesterday ran out of hours before it was up.
Because yesterday was an extra-early-start with an extra-late end
 I allowed myself an extra-hour of sleep this morning😊
hitting snooze to my heart's content😂

I forgot to post my snooze-button accountability yesterday; I hit snooze😔
so last night I decided maybe if set my alarm clock for 6:15 instead of 5:45
 I would be more apt to take my wake-up call/jolt a little more seriously, 
so I did that, and you know what?!!
I was wide awake before the alarm-clock could shock me from slumber-land
so-o-o, up I did'st get!
No snooze-button today😂

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!