Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ode to the Muse





The Poetics Aside prompt invites us to use an old poet's poem and write a rebuttal; today I am drawn to Keats. Was it a vision or a waking dream is a line in Ode to the Nightingale

Was it a vision or a waking dream?
Alas, and was it thus my heart you stole
Wrapped as you were; the essence of a stream
When spring has loosed her from winter’s cajole?
And as you played my senses with your lure
And as my pulses surged in begging swoon
Did you intend my lone heart to procure?
Or, were you simply passing like the moon
Far off yet all consuming in your glance
While I, a meek and speechless love-struck girl
Invited you to laugh in reckless dance
As you remained aloof; elusive swirl
Then, well thy word is like a forlorn bell
And if I could I’d cheat my thought of you
But I know now that you know me too well
And to deceive you is the thing I cannot do
The silence tolls your present absence where
The air is filled with expectation’s pause
But still I wait; unwilling to despair
Of your return, and still I wait because
I do not care to breathe without your thought
Or write at last a sorrowful requiem
For thee; who came one night, or did you not?
Tell me;  was it a vision or a waking dream

© Janet Martin  


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Janet, you got right into the spirit of Keats! This would make a lovely dramatic soliloquy.

    I like the lines:

    "...the essence of a stream
    When spring has loosed her from winter’s cajole?"

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your pause on this porch and thank-you for your visit!