Monday, January 18, 2016

Sight Seered and Sound-bound



A powerfully moving story; one of my all-time favorite movies by one of my all time favorite actors,
Sidney Poitier
(when I told Victoria this she chuckled and said, Mom, you sure have a lot of 'all-time favorite movies';
Most of my favorites were made before I was born;-)
They don't make them like that anymore.


Prejudice is dark with lies
And its world so small
To see with nothing but eyes
Is not to see at all

He who hears with ears alone
Misses every word
Listening begins, my love
When the heart is stirred

I have seen a prison cell
Not of bars and stone
But a cold and lonesome shell
Made of skin and bone

Who can teach us how to hear?
Who can help us see?
Who can break the bars of fear
And set prisoners free?

Pity those with only eyes
And ears to hear and see
Confined behind their disguise
Because they lost love’s key

© Janet Martin

2 comments:

  1. I have seen a prison cell
    Not of bars and stone
    But a cold and lonesome shell
    Made of skin and bone

    This gave me the chills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you:) I'm having trouble settling on a title for this one!

      A few of the lines in the poem were niggling in my brain for a little while but I couldn't get anything to 'gel' until today the missing pieces came together.

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!