Friday, June 20, 2014

Of Imagination and Temptation



   

(click on this image for a must-hear message!)

Mankind’s thought super-power
Is imagination
Prone to both good or evil
For with it comes temptation

How subtle is deception
This testing of our will
Amplifies weakness or brute strength
To fight for good or ill

How can we battle purely
What thought perceives as ‘nice’?
Prayer is our single sure defense
Against temptation’s vice

For thought, the lone precursor
To everything we do
Proves through our action who we serve
In places hid from view

...and mankind’s super-power
Is imagination
Thought is the doorway whereby we
Are led into temptation

 How can we guard the barracks
Immune to force of limb?
The Word of God is faultless
and fills our thoughts with Him

© Janet Martin

What a great undertaking imagination is...
soon it reveals its colors in wisdom or foolishness

Imagination is a great thing. Every astonishing invention was the fruit of someone’s imagination, but imagination is also the first-fruit of temptation!

 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Cor. 10:13

2 comments:

  1. I've told my kids for years that sin begins in the mind. We simply must be able to control our thought lives, rejecting those thoughts which lead us astray.

    I can struggle with fear on a regular basis. A couple weeks ago, my husband and son were camping and my daughter was out of town, so I was home alone for the weekend. I had a major panic attack, with all sorts of catastrophic thoughts filling my mind. Eventually, I had the presence of mind to start spouting "When I am afraid, I will trust in you." I spoke the passage aloud hundreds of times, and eventually the panic passed.

    Bottom line, we must replace wrong thoughts with right ones...and Scripture is always right.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    P.S. Sorry for the long-winded comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Patti, so true! and it is a long topic! So much that we are exposed to affects our thought which affects our choice which in turn affects ourselves and those whose lives we touch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!