Wednesday, November 23, 2016

When You Are Yesterday...



 PAD Challenge day 23: For today’s prompt, take the phrase “When (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then write the poem. 

Part of me almost said 'yech' as I stared at the modest mundane awaiting my attention
...then a pang pierced me with conviction; I turn with grateful care, privileged to touch
Familiarity so common I almost miss it!

When you are far away from me
Save in the arms of thought’s embrace
And all that I can do is trace
The echoes of a memory

When you are there and I am here
To wear love’s worthy ache of want
And bear the miles that seem to taunt
Twixt farewell’s kiss and hello-dear

When words alone cannot atone
For words that I cannot retract
Or lessons learned after your fact
Where I cannot undo the done

Then I, with wiser, gentler care
Cradle the moments in my grip
Aware that soon they too will slip
Into your chamber of thin air

© Janet Martin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!