Saturday, November 19, 2016

Port in the Kitchen

For today’s prompt, write a poem about a commonplace location.



From here I watch 
as seasons change 
the scenes that sweep the yard
and climb the hills 
to touch the sky 
(and heartstrings of a bard) 


I see the morning 
as it breaks 
through bars that cannot hold
(though walled with starry legions)
lakes of blush 
and gray and gold


From here, midst pots
and pans and sinks 
heaped high with post-meal ilk


Midst noise of
little girls and boys
and laughter-spills...and milk


From here I grasp at time
To twist to rhyme 
its glint and glance
Because nobody knows
how long until
It stills its dance 



The pendulum that
metes our days
no mortal eye can see
From here I sense
the subtle ways
of almost-history
While wiping crumbs from tables
and wrestling
with weight of word
Attempting
to snare from the air
The shape of Something Stirred
The stomping ground 
of Seasons
unleashes a soundless surge


It thunders in ears, fingertips
 as ink 
and murmur merge


From here,
While supper simmers
or while morning lights the lea
This corner of my kitchen
Is a port
for poetry

Janet Martin






2 comments:

  1. Ah, this made me smile. I enjoyed how the poem just rolls off the tongue and the how the photos give a glimpse into your world. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! and thank-you. It's been super-busy this month and i have not been able to keep up with all the prompts, but this one I couldn't resist:) thank-you again.

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!