Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Slow Dance With November Blue





For today’s prompt, we’re once again doing two-for-Tuesday prompt. So pick one, combine both prompts into one poem, or write two (or more) different poems. Here are the prompts:
  • Write a love poem. A poem about love, people who are in love, attempting to woo, or some other lovely spin on the subject. Or…
  • Write an anti-love poem. I know that for every lover there’s an equally powerful hater.


I love you; how you woo me with your blue November eyes
You stoke the hunger in my soul with leafless lullabies
There is no other lover quite as intimate as you
The wander-land of summer swept into November blue

I’ll miss you; for you kiss the countryside with mottled hues
Your painter’s tray is mostly gray and bronze and browns and blues
With here and there a sudden splash of hallelujah-green
To tease earth’s waning colors with echoes of seventeen

I love you; poet’s soulmate and maestro of early dusk
Your baton slips across the tips of stripped trees, blue and brusque
The song you play a melody of passion’s aftermath
A brittle leaf tap-dances on your frozen garden path

I love how gray becomes you on a rainy afternoon
No, you were never made for flowered frocks of May and June
But for lands after harvest and hands folded into prayer
For slow dancers that do not feel the need to rush somewhere

November blue, I’ll miss you; love's farewell is pleasure's pain
You weave such tender sweetness to your ‘til-we-meet-again’
The touch of you, slow, solemn; like somehow you’ll miss me too
Oh, troubadour of autumn, fare thee well and I love you


© Janet Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!