Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Sweetest of Tears





Yesterday Melissa met us (my friend with her little boys I baby-sit and Victoria and I) in Toronto. We visited Ripley’s Aquarium. It was a great day, with so much I never did get time to say…

Oft, how I struggle and battle
With that which I have
And that which I lack
Weighed in the delicate balance, child,
Of nudging you forward
And pulling you back

Oft I am torn twixt the stretching
Of holding you close
And letting you go
Love is a bitter-sweet wrenching, child
That only a mother
Will ever full-know

Oft, oh how the grip of it stuns me
Wanting and Must
Juxtaposed in my ears
Futile to fumble with words, child
Motherhood suffers
The sweetest of tears

© Janet Martin

…suddenly the train was coming and all we had time for was a quick hug and see you soon. While we ran tears dimmed the doorway of Union Station. Spending time together reminds us (Victoria and I) how much we miss her…
...the same tug I felt the day before when I hugged Rob and Emily good-bye as they left for the airport.

 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19

3 comments:

  1. It is heartbreaking to say farewell ... I feel with you, Janet!
    But such a wonderful day you've had - to experience the wonders of the ocean in the Aquarium together!
    Your poem just says so much about Motherhood ... Mom's heart carries so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Nina and Dayle. Yes, a Mother's heart is stretched to hold ever more and more! So, so bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!