Thursday, October 9, 2014

Of Surprise Visitors and Such





Today more than likely, will spill surprises like a test
To see how we respond to startling, unplanned-for requests
Our stretch-and-bend and give-and-take muscles might learn new moves
Because it is reaction, not our word that often proves
Who we are on the inside where no one can see but One
And sometimes He sends little tests to shape who we become

I’d like to think that I’d respond with humble willingness
But I know I’ve been guilty of a lesser gentleness
Yet God, so rich in mercy does not leave us or forsake
He lays on living’s trestle new offers of give-and-take
And what we do with them is more than we might realize
As we respond with ‘yes, my Lord’ or mumbling, grumbling sighs

…for opportunity wears shades that take us by surprise
It comes in packages that we don’t always recognize
And Jesus comes to visit us not in chariots of gold
But oft in cups of water or a broken bit of soul
…today, if He drops by when I am in the midst of work
I hope that I will not be too absorbed to hear Him knock

© Janet Martin

 "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May your word to me be fulfilled." Then the angel left her. Luke 1:38

2 comments:

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!