Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I Stopped by the Garden Today





I stopped by the garden today
Her summer-chatter spent
Save for a tattered, scattered fray
To prove she came and went


I stopped by the walnut tree
Her lacy crooning swoon
Weeps in bronze leaf-note rhapsody
Beneath October’s noon


In spite of greedy clocks, I stopped
To sail the leaf-lorn sea
Before another season locks
Its vault and keeps the key


I stopped where the flowers fell
I stopped where hours flew
I stopped beside the blue bloom-bell
To hear its knell, adieu 


Yes, I stopped by the garden today
There wasn’t much to do
But wonder at Time’s tender way
And plant a tear or two

© Janet Martin



4 comments:

  1. Thank-you Jen. I just finished pulling out those corn-stalks and i feel a little like a wilted stalk. My 'helper' got a text from a buddy soon after we started, asking if he could please go golfing with him. They've been talking about it all summer and i didn't have the heart to say 'no'. Well. it's done now except for loading up the piles and hauling them away so there's still ample opportunity to help:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I wish I had some corn stalks to decorate with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i would love to share;)

    I put a huge pile out to the end of the driveway last week with a FREE sign, but the traffic goes by here so fast. No one stopped or perhaps even noticed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!