Monday, January 2, 2017

Twenty-Seventeen






Timid, I taste The Number
Ah, what a stranger, This
That drew us from our slumber
With morning’s routine kiss

Time does not seem to notice
Undeterred, though we sigh
And grapple with the digits
Which never tell a lie

…but chart with staid enforcement
The discourse of a year
That gathers to annulment
Each treasured smile and tear

Sometimes I think Time cruel
Sometimes I think it kind
Time just ignores the duel
Played out twixt heart and mind

More bent it seems on numbers
Charting with tick and tock
Each season that soon slumbers
Where none but echoes walk

© Janet Martin

I couldn't revel in sentimentality yesterday morning because we had to get to church on time;-) 
Allowing myself a little dip into the where-does-the-time-go pool before I can taste this number without it jolting my senses every time I hear it!!

The only number this squirrel seems to care about is the number of nuts in his pantry:)
I've been noticing a network of tunnels under the snow and this morning I found out why!
They look exactly like this video from youtube

2 comments:

  1. 'Sometimes I think Time cruel
    Sometimes I think it kind
    Time just ignores the duel
    Played out twixt heart and mind'

    So true, so observant, so lovely!! I could write an entire essay on your poem, discussing this duel of the heart and mind!

    Happy New Year, dear Janet! All the best for 2017!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Poppy...and same to you!

      And thank-you for feeling those lines! It really is a hard-core duel!

      Right now Time is holding in its wings Grand-baby #1. tomorrow is the baby's due date so we are very excited to say the least...I mentioned to a friend yesterday that I was sort of unprepared for all the mother-to-daughter emotions and the anxious prelude to these three darling words 'it's a boy!' or 'it's a girl'!!

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!