Thursday, April 21, 2016

Full Many a Glorious Dawning I've Disdained...

Writer's Digest PAD Challenges day 21: For today’s prompt, write a poem that responds (or somehow communicates) with another poem. 


The sun peeked out to say 'good  morning' then disappeared behind a shroud of gray... 


 Ah, yes, thy dress doth not thy merit tell
The inward veiled while outward we behold
Thy gray approach, cold yet ephemeral
Beneath thy somber coat, a heart of gold
Thus, mouth of mine, do not with complaint scorn
Nor brood whilst moody morning scales the air
For thou has tasted many a dew-glad morn
And thou hast wasted many a morning fair 

Wilst we dare charge the Maker of dawn's robe
With our demand? The sand on which we stand
Is numbered in His gaze; He cups the globe
Of gold and gray within his faithful Hand
Where many a morning we have barely glanced
At heavens where the feet of angels danced

Janet Martin

Response to Shakespeare's 
Full Many a Glorious Morning Have I Seen...

Full many a glorious morning have I seen
Flatter the mountain-tops with sovereign eye,
Kissing with golden face the meadows green,
Gilding pale streams with heavenly alchemy;
Anon permit the basest clouds to ride
With ugly rack on his celestial face
And from the forlorn world his visage hide,
Stealing unseen to west with this disgrace.
Even so my sun one early morn did shine
With all-triumphant splendour on my brow;
But out, alack! he was but one hour mine;
The region cloud hath mask'd him from me now.
Yet him for this my love no whit disdaineth;
Suns of the world may stain when heaven's sun staineth.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!