Tuesday, September 15, 2015

New Day; Altar and Battlefield





Raven, tree-silhouettes are sketched
Etched on a backdrop of new day
New day is like an altar stretched
Upon time’s rudiments of clay
And we who bear the yoke of toil
Lay on it, shrines of loss and spoil

Skylines and front-lines reappear
We refer to sight, sound and touch
But battle with bonds that adhere
To elements of faith and trust
As modern-day goliaths jeer
And we tremble with doubt and fear

The Name that David lifted high
Bestowed courage to see him through
With that same Name, ah, you and I
Can face our greatest giants too
And march into life’s battlefield
The name of God our strength and shield

© Janet Martin


 Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.  This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head. And I will give the dead bodies of the host of the Philistines this day to the birds of the air and to the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel,  and that all this assembly may know that the Lord saves not with sword and spear. For the battle is the Lord's, and he will give you into our hand.” 1 Sam.17:45-47


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!