Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thursday Thoughts




Life is a battle of choices
They break us or make us strong
But we should weigh well our responses
Because Eternity is long

***

Life is a glimmering twinkle
How sad to choose the wrong
To savor a pittance of moments
When eternity is so long

***

The gods of this world cannot save us
One true God saves everyone
Today is the day of grace and salvation
Tomorrow we could be gone
And Eternity is long…

***

No man can serve two masters
We choose who we serve, not with voice
Yet no one conceals their answer
For action reveals the heart’s choice

***

Sing a song of gladness
In the wilderness
Nothing lasts forever
Except God’s promises

***

Do not despair, fellow-traveler
Though perhaps we’ve done wrong
Even a stumble if we are humble
Can serve to make us strong

***

Guilt
Yesterday you yelled at me
And I yelled back; I hang my head
For all the perfect, pious words
Cannot erase those words I said

Redemption
Yesterday I wept to hear
Another Voice tenderly say
For You I died and with my blood
I washed your hopeless guilt away

***

This never-ending thought
Almost too much to bear
I realize in sudden peace
Is my deep heart-held prayer

***

We cannot control the actions
Of those who are angry and cuss
But oh, our reaction
Is entirely up to us

***

Do not despise life’s testing flame
Nor question God’s desire
Gold is refined, not on the crown
But only in the fire

***

Pity the one whose life is spent
Serving the man in the mirror
The god of self is never content
And ever joy’s sad superior

***

This is no ordinary thing
That rends the morning sky
This is the day the Lord has made
Then gave to you and I

 ***

We ought to pray
Yet, never shirk
The diocese
That we call
Work

***

Change is not some sweet future endeavor
Where dreamland waters flow
Change is the action of those who labor
Here in the very now

***

Tall grew the walls that he built to the skies
To protect him from life’s punch in the chin
Too late he looked up to realize
That somehow he had barred himself in

© Janet Martin

2 comments:

  1. That first and second is something I am working on right now....weighing my responses/reactions. Timely thoughts! Thanks for sharing God's wisdom He's given you Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Jen, and thank-you again for encouraging me to keep on with these thoughts. It is likely the most vulnerable writing I do because these thoughts are often taken from life-lessons being taught to me. It is good to remember to look for the value in those sometimes 'unpleasant' circumstances.

    Blessings to you, my friend:) on this journey of life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!