Saturday, May 4, 2019

What Makes a Man


 This would have been posted on May 2nd
(Matt's Birthday poem)

Happy 21st Birthday, Matt!



It is the mind that makes the man
Not his physique, his health- wealth- tan
Who Table of Thought entertains
The output of the man explains
…where every action (swift or not)
Is first the dinner-guest of Thought

It is the mind that makes the man
It feeds the thought that feeds the plan
Where plan fosters then fathers deed
Its fruit exposing hidden seed
…where no one can fight sin and win
Without the might of God within

It is the mind that makes the man
Wise then, is he who seeks God’s plan
How else can he keep his way pure?
Or taunts of the Tempter endure?
And how can he be ‘man enough’?
Be strong, yet kind, tender, yet tough

How can he face the foe of Truth?
Or find the right path in his youth?
How can his steps fall undeterred?
By keeping in his heart, God’s Word
Because without this, pity then
The mind that makes beasts out of men

© Janet Martin

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your Word.
I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees.
Psalm 119: 9-12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!