Sunday, February 16, 2020

Charcuterie of Poetry...

Regular routines have been derailed a bit the past few days/weeks.
I didn't forget about Thurs. what's-for supper etc.
In fact, this poem (if I remember correctly)was started for that purpose.
but my family prefers if I must choose between the two, that I choose cooking, not writing.
Because you can't (literally) eat a poem!
 and because I was really looking forward to sharing the Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
(from my friend's daughter's Cooking Through Generations blog)
here is the supper from last  Thursday's never-completed post...


But, because supper will never be enough to satisfy certain hungers
Here's to flavours not found in your cookbook!


I’ve tasted through the tracery of ink pressed into poetry
The glory of the written word like salt-spray from a surging sea
The ambiance of bygone days like echo-extract, bittersweet
The timbre of farewell poured from a flask to rain-strummed lane and street

There is a sense of ease about a breeze that bears spring’s heady hope
Of April sunshine like warm honey drizzled on a sunny slope
Sometimes the wind is seasoned with the wistfulness for what is not
Or pungent with aromas rousing awareness for what we’ve got

I’ve tasted summer in the middle of frigid February
Darling, this is the glorious gift of ink arranged in poetry
Ah, can’t you catch a hint of wild mint wafting from brook-banks below
Or muted essence of moments falling in apple-blossom snow

Labyrinthine of ink- cuisine is not a fast-food gulp-and-burp
Charcuterie of poetry is to savour like fine dessert
Aw, let’s not hurry so although there is always too much to do
Let’s linger longer; taste the lyrics of love's precious me-and-you

The bard has left for taste and touch (in books and such) a grand buffet
But weaves in it the sense of never enough hours in a day
To spell the whole of heart and soul leaves poets always on the verge
Of verse, to try to snare some remnants of life’s wonder-flavoured splurge

© Janet Martin


 click link for...
 Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
 (from my friend's daughter's Cooking Through Generations blog)

I didn't have drumsticks so I cut up a small chicken , mixed seasonings,
rubbed it on and baked
Easy, quick,
nutritious and delicious!
My favorite kind of cooking!


2 comments:

  1. Aw! Thanks for the shout! So glad you enjoyed the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 you're welcome and thank-you for introducing some new meal ideas to our table!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!