Monday, November 16, 2020

I Don't Believe in Luck



Playing a bit of catch-up on Writer's Digest's Poem-a-day prompts.
This was prompt 13: Write a luck poem
(still unable to log in to their site.
Nothing works. not reset saved passwords. Nothing)


"I believe in the One who steals our breath with majesty
His handiwork second to none on sod and sky and sea"



I don’t believe in four-leaf-clovers, charms like rabbit’s feet 
Or leaves of tea or stars aligned or fate or Easy Street 
Or roll of dice or pennies tossed into a wishing well 
I believe what must be will be and time enough will tell 

I believe in discretion, common sense and honesty 
That by the grace of God we go and ought to revere He 
Who grants the chance to choose this day who we will honour best 
I believe we should watch and pray and trust Him for the rest 

He knows the very numbers of the hairs upon our head
No matter what naysayers say we know God is not dead
I don't believe in horseshoes or in the luck of the draw
I believe in the kindly keep of  He whose love is law

I believe in the One who steals our breath with Majesty
His handiwork second to none on sod and sky and sea
I don't believe in luck; the gamble of all it entails
I believe in the grace of God whose goodness never fails

© Janet Martin

Glorify the Lord with me;
    let us exalt his name together...

Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
 Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
    for those who fear him lack nothing.
 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
    but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
Psalm 34:3&8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!