Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Daily Gift (already in full swing)


By the time we swing our legs over the side of the bed 
to go from horizontal to vertical, 
before our toes touch the floor
we have already been presented with opportunity
to turn our heart/mind earthward or heavenward!

Last night before I went to bed I told Victoria 
I really should write a timetable for today, 
so I don't waste a minute of trying to complete 
a whole bunch of odds-and-ends tasks such as...

wash out and tidy the fridge and freezing compartment

stack wood so we can get more on Saturday,
 
organize pantry again (sometimes I wonder if somewhere the pantry has a sign;
 if you don't know what to do with it pitch it in here) 


tidy fruit cellar because last week I hauled a shelf out of it
when I was fall-cleaning the livingroom that I decided 
would be the perfect size for the back wall and the first
step/shelf toward the dream of creating a little book-nook!
 
now, what to do with everything that was on it before...
(I know how to make a lot of extra work for myself😛)

All this to say, this morning... 
I woke up with a rip-roaring headache and nausea 
so I went back to bed, woke up at 10:30 (thankfully childcare is Thursday and Friday this week)
and feel much better! now I am having a coffee and pretending it's six in the morning
instead of eleven, oops noon!
(lots of pause-and-serve opportunities already!)

Each day is like a gift laden with opportunity
No matter what our circumstance or vocation may be
It tests our best intention with basic matters of fact
Where it is up to us to decide how we will react

The vantage-points from agendas we cannot set in stone
Are always at the mercy of a hand over our own
It moves through plans like a toddler through sibling’s well-laid blocks
And doesn’t mind a mite about the steady pace of clocks

Each day presents a heap of ways to think, then say and do
To learn to bend, not break, with God’s kind grace to help us through
It challenges our patience, tests our words and tries our trust
And offers endless opportunities to readjust

No day, try as hard as we may, is ever quite bespoke
My, my how swift its gift soon drifts like curlicues of smoke
While we are wrangling into practice the fine filigree
Of learning how to make the most of opportunity

© Janet Martin

Gal. 6:10
Therefore, as we have opportunity, 
let us do good to all people, 
especially to those who belong to the family of believers.


 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!