Tuesday, October 13, 2020

If This Should Be Time's Final Fling


Psalm 62:11-12
One thing God has spoken, two things I have heard:
“Power belongs to you, God,
and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
and, “You reward everyone
according to what they have done.”

Dawn is someone's farewell hymn today!
What if it is you or me?

Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written 
in your book before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:16


If this should be time’s final fling for you or I today 
If dawn would be a farewell hymn with no more songs to play 
If buttered toast and coffee was our last repast before 
The Soul sets sail through time’s thin veil into Forevermore 

If today one of us would cross that dark and mystic deep 
As you or I were ushered from time’s thrum of wake and sleep 
Are we prepared for God who gives to take it back again 
And seal the pledge that drives a wedge between our soul and skin 

Are we ready to be rewarded for what we have done
To hear what is recorded in a ledger read by One
Where what is written there will prove the God we worshiped here
(yes, we should all contemplate this with reverential fear)

If Opportunity today would grant its final let 
Would what we do and say fit us to leave without regret 
Are we ready to meet the One who knows heart’s yea and nay 
If this should be time’s final fling for you or I today
 

© Janet Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!