Monday, September 21, 2020

Farewell Summer


I'm working at cleaning out the garden
after a few September frosts 
finished off some of the foliage.
Farewell summer.
To everything there is a season but, oh, 
why does summer always seems shortest of all?!


 
(photo below from my sister Lucy's garden)
(Someday when time is freer I hope to do a photo-tour of her enchanting gardens and nooks)



Winsome whisper 
Flutter, flicker 
Glimmer, shimmer 
Butterfly 
High-five, blunder 
Starlight thunder 
Wide-eyed wonder 
My, oh my 

Finger waggle 
Barter, haggle 
Vim-bedraggled 
Yep and nope 
Lend and borrow, 
Joy and sorrow 
Hail the morrow’s 
Brighter hope 

Tears and laughter 
Days fly faster 
Before-after 
Empty-full 
Oops-a-daisy 
Drives us crazy 
Don’t be lazy 
Push and pull 

Pick a rosy 
Pretty posy 
Linger-mosey 
Dosey-doe 
Blue and yellow 
Friendly hello 
Hurried fellow 
Hold, let go 

Plant a garden 
Beg no pardon 
For chores undone 
Hoe and weed 
Sun-kissed pleasure 
Spills its measure 
Into treasure 
Born of seed 

Hustle-bustle 
Bowls and bushels 
Muster muscle 
Grin and groan 
Cricket-cadence 
Sedum radiance 
Winnows dreamlands 
To the bone 

Poplar-shiver 
Aspen-quiver 
Petal-river 
Poetry 
Pours the murmur 
Of sweet summer 
To become her 
Memory 

© Janet Martin 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!