Saturday, December 28, 2019

Of Large Estate


Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth;
keep watch at the door of my lips.
Do not let my heart be drawn to any evil thing
or take part in works of wickedness
with men who do iniquity;
let me not feast on their delicacies.
Let the righteous man strike me;
let his rebuke be an act of loving devotion.
It is oil for my head; let me not refuse it.
For my prayer is ever against the deeds of the wicked. 
Psalm 141:3-5 





Lord, set a watch before, behind
With measure sound and stout
That large estate of heart and mind
So volatile without

For as a man thinks so he is
The mouth speaks from the heart
These establish the genesis
Of all that we impart

Then help us to hunger and thirst
After Your righteousness
Though spirit wills the flesh is cursed
With inherent weakness

....where pride always precedes the fall 
As we prove with vain jest
That without Your love we are all
Deplorable at best

Make us unwise in our own eyes
Forbid we walk by sight  
Help us to humbly recognize
How much we need your Light

…and how we need a watch designed
By Whom all things are known
The large estate of heart and mind
So cunning on its own

© Janet Martin

 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.
Prov.3:7

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:...
Prov.23:7

 You brood of vipers! How can you speak good things, when you are evil?
 For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
Matt.12:34

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!