Monday, November 4, 2019

Night Thoughts

PAD Challenge Day 4: For today’s prompt, take the phrase “Night (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. 

"These are night-thoughts.
The day will wash them away"
Quote from; From Larkrise to Candleford 



Through chasms carved with what is not
They rush; frail flood-gates yield to thought
That daylight’s barricades had barred
But midnight’s maelstroms disregard
And would wreak havoc in the Place
That cups our mustard seed of faith

…for something about darkness wakes
A world immune to masquerades
It strips bravado down to size
As fear rallies its troop of lies
To thunder through thought’s sleepless form
With ‘what ifs’ agonizing storm

And were it not for prayer to keep
A Shepherd’s watch on thought-shaped sheep
And were it not for grace to guard
The fold those night-fiends disregard
We could not ward off wolves that wait
To break in and annihilate

So when I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord His watch to keep
And guard me from the beasts that lurk
When I have set aside my work
Where love and longing carve an ache
That sometimes night-thought’s overtake

© Janet Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!