Thursday, September 12, 2019

Evaluating the (Not-So) Hidden Motives


I have no regular posting time these days.
But, often if I have a poem on the go then kiddo's nap-time
allows a little window of opportunity to share it 😊

I couldn't really decide what photo relates to this poem
 so I chose some that showcase my motivation to plant a garden/zinnias!





What motivates us to the means
Of what we give for what we get
What drives us like half-mad machines
Toward the goals not conquered yet
What in the world makes us most glad
Most satisfied or deeply sad
If God stripped us of skin and bone
Who would He find on our heart’s throne?

What spins the wheels of want and will
What pleasure bids us suffer pain
What feeds our hunger for a thrill
Is it true love or selfish gain?
Sometimes when discontentment taunts
We ought to double-check our wants
And weigh the breath of would-be-boast
With who or what we cherish most

What fires our rise-and-shine
Or would we rather not confess
What drives us to the finish-line
Or fuels dreams of happiness
What, when the coin of time is spent
(and this is A Most Certain Thing)
Will who/what we valued with its Cent
Make worth the payday death will bring

© Janet Martin

How many of us absolutely live with the verse below as our utmost value?

What is more,
 I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth
 of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord,
 for whose sake I have lost all things.
 I consider them garbage,
 that I may gain Christ

Phil.3:8 NIV

...or, the KJV takes it even beyond the word 'garbage'!

 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss
for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord:
for whom I have suffered the loss of all things,
and do count them but dung,
that I may win Christ,

Phil.3:8 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!