Thursday, August 22, 2019

Standing Still


 My brother was laughing as he pulled up beside my vehicle
on the shoulder of the road a few hundred feet from my driveway, with my arm out the window 
to snag a photo or ten. "it's just so beautiful I can't help it! I laughed
 and he said "yeah, you almost make me wanna take one!"
 (and all the way to town it was drive, pull over click, drive pull over click!)

We had a stunning sky-buffet all day today!










 Sometimes we just have to stop and look... twice!

Then look, before that subtle door swings shut on hinges with soft ease
The luring sky is pure azure where soundless schooners sail its seas
Its boundless sweep leaps above earth and dwarfs the rolling field and hill
And makes me walk a little slower until I am standing still

Then listen where wind minstrels strum the musky strings of brome and sage
Where sleepless cricket-choirs turn entire earth into a stage
Where something in the air invites us to slow down and take a seat
And make the most where hours drip like flower-petals ‘neath our feet

© Janet Martin

5 comments:

  1. Janet, I'm swooning at the beauty of your photos today. A stunning sky-buffet indeed! What a wonderful world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heavens truly do declare the glory of God over and over again. When we look up at the heavens, at the work of His hands doesn't it make us echo... what is man that you are mindful of Him?!! We live in a wonderful world indeed!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos and poem! Fabulous alliteration and rhyme and that tranquil feeling evoked in your last stanza makes me want to wrap myself up in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank YOU for your beautiful words!

      Delete
    2. and from one poet to another...thank-you for noticing the 'extra-effort' bits<3

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!