Thursday, August 11, 2016

Thursday Thoughts on This and That...



Are you enjoying the Olympics? We try to stay tuned a little during our busy summer days.
 How else can we show appreciation for the endurance and years of training these athletes have committed to.
Last night when I was biking (it was hot, my tires were a little slack, the gravel on the shoulder loose, and biking was hard!!) so I pretended I was an Olympian, determined to cross the finish-line (aka home-driveway;-)
It made me think of another finish line that Paul talks about long ago…
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize?
Run in such a way as to take the prize.
Everyone who competes in the games trains with strict discipline.
They do it for a crown that is perishable, but we do it for a crown that is imperishable.…
1 Cor.9:24

May our daily goal be to run the race with endurance so that someday we may proclaim,
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;
in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.”
2 Tim.4:7-8


If you want to be a success,
And if you want to be a star
If you want to make a diff’rence
Then be faithful,
 Right where you are

Not in some far and future day
Not in some better this or that
Oh, if you want to be a star
Then be faithful,
Right where you’re at

***

Piety is not enough
To save the sinner’s soul
But salvation, God’s perfect love
Makes Imperfection whole

***

It is not enough to wish
Wish sires despair
Better then, to take each plea
And turn it into prayer

***

Who of us, in all this fuss
Has every answer; none
Who of us does not need trust
In He whose will is done?
Who of us can say our way
Is better then, than His?
Who of us midst all this fuss
Remembers this; God IS

***

Thank-you God, for morning
And for noon and night
Thank-you that we do not know
What waits beyond our sight
Thank-you for Your promise
No matter what the plight
Morning, noon and night

***

We grow old with our habits
Thus we should be on guard
And mold our habits with great care
For they make who we are

***

Ability is like a bud
Lifted on root and stem
How hardly it could bloom, my love
If not held up by them

***

Stay the course and do not waver
Fight the fight and do not quit
Live, but not to gain man’s favor
But for God who ordained it

***
We becomes who we ought to be
Not by self-centered quest
But in God first, then others needs
Thus we become our best

© Janet Martin


Hope you have a happy Thursday. 
Here Thursday promises to be another scorcher so I better finish my Cucumber Hotdog Relish before it gets too hot...

 This mixture of cabbage, cucumber, green tomatoes and onions sat overnight. It is ready for red peppers and celery, then boiling with a sugar-vinegar syrup and sealing.
Actually, why don't I give you my mom's recipe? 
It is yummy on hotdogs, burgers, tuna sandwiches and sandwiches in general!

Hotdog Relish

8 large cucumbers or 12-16 med.
I small head of cabbage
12-18 green tomatoes depending on the size of them
8 med onions
put through course grater.
Add a handful of salt and let sit overnight.
In the morning, drain,
add 3 chopped red peppers and 1 bunch celery, chopped

Bring to boil:
2 cups vinegar
7 cups sugar
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. tumeric

Add veggies. 
(make sure you have a heavy pot and stir constantly to keep it from burning)

boil 15 min. 
Put in jars and seal!

A few hours later...I forgot what a big batch this is! Recipe can be halved if this is too much.
On the other hand, this lasts for years in the fruit cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!