Friday, February 20, 2015

Job Offer



I tripped over a hockey-bag while starting laundry, when I heard the bus pull up...Victoria always looks for Mom's 'see-you' wave...


He asks, with eyebrows raised
If ‘do I think that possibly
I miss the thrill of knowing
My full potentiality
Implying, ‘Here
Among the mundane-ness
Of household chores and such’
He dangles it as ‘nothings’
…all these things that I call love
And do I think it is enough?
The noise of boys
And toys
And ‘little things'
Which fill me with
Ten-thousand unnamed joys
He asks me if ‘I never
Long for more than merely this?’
I wonder, does he mean smiles, hugs
Or pudgy, smudgy toast-crumb kiss?
And then, he lays before me
What he calls a golden ladder
Promising money,
As though it could buy
Those things
That really matter

© Janet Martin

5 comments:

  1. He doesn't realize you've been at the top of the "golden ladder" for quite a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can you feel something? ;) yeah, it's a great big hug(()) Your words make my day!

      Delete
  2. If you offer me a job of eating those cookies I'll take it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!