Friday, November 22, 2013

This Love Thing





‘Tis heavenly and hard
This love thing, my darling
This intricate balance
Of hold and release
And I never knew
In its early beginning
The finesse of love
Is both beauty and beast

Why is it, my darling
That those we love dearly
We hurt most deeply
In spite of intent
This having and holding
Is a kind, brutal molding
Compassion and courage
Comfort and torment

To love is to bear
Life’s most beautiful sorrow
We cannot love
And escape living’s grief
And yet, not to love
Is the saddest of longings
Love, a kind shoulder
And sorrow’s relief

‘Tis roses and thorns
This love thing, my darling
It's awesome heart-holding
A ruthless romance
And I never knew
In its early beginning
Both beauty and beast
Must learn how to dance

© Janet Martin




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!