Monday, November 11, 2013

Remembrance Day edited re-post...Thoughts of a Dying Soldier



The sky is such a lovely shade of blue in early May
The clouds seem extra-fluffy; I’ll be touching them today
I'm glad the grass I’m lying on is soft and emerald green
The color of the lawn in spring back home in Aberdeen

God, there was much in life that I had hoped that I could do
But it looks as if today I will be meeting you
And all the things I thought worth-while seem suddenly so small
And I can’t help but smile to think we fuss ‘bout life at all

The only thing that matters now is this moment impending
The seeds that I have sown will grow though it seems life is ending
God, it is so little that man-kind will ever know
I'm glad that I am not afraid because You love me so

There’s a letter in my pocket, I suppose someone will find
And give to my beloved, ‘something that he left behind’
Sure would have loved to see her, touch her soft lips just once more
God, what a useless, bloody hell on earth is war

Above me now an eagle flies on its majestic flight
'guess I will pass it in the skies as I fly Home tonight
For it will fly to crag or tree and to its little nest
I’ll fly to eternity and my home of sweet rest

The sky is such a lovely shade of blue in early May
I wonder what they’re doing in my home-town today
I wish that I could see them all and hold their hands again
Oh God, in death there are no allies, enemies; just men

Janet Martin
Inspired by the book: The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!