Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Half of the Harvest In...




As I drove home this morning there seemed to be an urgency in the sound of the combines and tractors.  This has been a drenching fall and many fields are still waiting to be harvested. Today the ground is frozen and they can finally get into the fields.
...this half-harvested field evoked a bigger picture in my thought...

What if the Lord of the vineyard
Weary of sickness and sin
Called us to ‘Come’ and we only
Have half of the harvest in?

What if we looked up to see Him
Pull back the Great Doors of Heav'n
And then saw the fields, still heavy
With only half of the harvest in

...and what if He left while we stood there
Shocked to see what could have been
If we had not waited with only
Half of the harvest in

Janet~


 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness.  When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” Matt. 9: 35-38
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is stirring! The photo hit me right away and the poignancy of your poem is gripping. The sense of urgency is one I hope not to shake. "Let's go! Go! Go!" kept ringing through me as I read this. What are we waiting for sometimes, right? Or maybe that's just me ha. What am I waiting for? Get going already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,No, it's not just you; this is why this scene hit me SO! It's so easy to become distracted and forget...I echo your voice, we need to 'just go, go, go!'

    But by the grace of God we go...

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!